Sunday, August 09, 2026

Official Update

 

Apologies the site is down, its good news and bad news.

The ongoing attacks/probing has caused the forum to use all of its "CPU Seconds", these will be reinstated at the end of the month.




I moved some of the website protection from siteground to Cloudflare, which has better tools (or rather presents the data in amore accessible way).

This means i now have greater insight into the issues presented to the site, though the net effect is the same - i can see its not a traditional DDOS attack.

We are being probed and scanned by certain bots and networks that are looking for certain vulnerabilities, and various 'bots'.

I have been able to add rules to :
1) enhance rate limiting and flood prevention.
2) certain countries will be required to validate themselves, most legitimate users should not see a direct impact.
3) blocks to certain automated networks/agents...

I have also removed some background development projects that never made it to readiness, some these used technologies that where being targeted.

The above countermeasures are active now, but siteground won't enable user access to the site until the end of the month - apologies. Fingers crossed that the measures taken reduce the impact on the hosting.

Here is a small slice of the stats now available that dive into the world of networks and web traffic... 




4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the updste, BD. Dario 'Moresby'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto, Martin. David contacted me via Facebook to ask about the latest attack, so I've directed him here to the Blogspot which, incidentally, is probably the best way of keeping everyone up to date with developments. Whilst I have a modicum of IT knowledge (I bought my first computer way back in 1976!), this stuff is way beyond my paygrade. Many thanks for dealing with all this kerfuffle! - Greg

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I wouldn't recommend the approach for surgical procedures, sometimes the best approach is having a real world problem to solve, some time to think, time to research and time to act

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Martin, thanks for all your efforts. I would like to sign up to Top Gun like Greg. Can you drop me a line so I can pay up, Cheers David

    ReplyDelete